What is Natural Gas?

Natural Gas is a colorless, odorless, non-toxic mixture of gases such as methane, ethane, propane, and butane.  Natural gas is produced by drilling into the Earth's crust where pockets of natural gas were trapped hundreds of thousands of years ago. Once the gas is brought to the surface, it is refined to remove impurities, like water, other gasses, and sand. Then it is transmitted through large pipelines that span the continent. Distributors add an odorant to the gas as a safety measure so that people will be able to tell if there is a gas leak, or if they forget to turn off an appliance.

Is Natural Gas safe to use in my home?

Natural Gas has an excellent safety record and is the most dependable source of energy you can have.

How will I know if my home has a gas leak?

Odds are you won't have a natural gas leak in your home; but if you do, your nose will let you know. While natural gas has no odor of its own, Willmut Gas adds an odorant that gives it a distinctive smell (similar to rotten eggs). Adding the odorant is one of the precautions we take to make natural gas the safest energy you can use.

What should I do if I smell Natural Gas?

Immediately call one of our offices from a neighbor's house. Do not use phone or turn on a light switch.

Hattiesburg:     (601) 544-6001
Magee:              (601) 849-3751
Pearl:                (601) 939-3275

If after hours:

Hattiesburg:     (601) 544-6001
Magee:             1-877-945-5427 (1-877-WILLGAS) **toll free
Pearl:                (601) 939-3275

At any time in which you cannot get through to Willmut Gas CALL 911.

Natural Gas is both colorless and odorless. The "rotten egg" smell is added to the gas for your safety.

What should I do if my carbon monoxide detector alarms?

Immediately call 911.

How can I read my Meter?

Reading the Meter is similar to reading a clock. Here's how:

  1. Face the meter and read the dials from left to right.
  2. Read the numbers as indicated by the hands on the dials. If a hand is between two numbers, read the smaller - - except when the hand is between 0 and 9, in which case you read the number 9.

Where is Willmut located?

Hattiesburg Location

Physical Location
315 South Main St.
Hattiesburg, MS 39403

Mailing Address
P.O. Box 1649
Hattiesburg, MS 39403

Phone: (601) 544-6001
Fax: (601) 544-8517

Magee Location

Physical Location
515 Third Ave. SE
Magee, MS 39111

Phone: (601) 849-3751
Fax (601) 849-3753

Pearl Location

Physical Location 
2650 Old Brandon Rd., Suite A
Pearl, MS 39208

Phone: (601) 939-3275
Fax (601) 939-5340

What are you hours of operation ?

Our offices are open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.

What areas does Willmut  Gas serve?

Hattiesburg Office:
Hattiesburg, Oak Grove, Rawls Springs, Leeville, Dixie

Magee Office:
Sanford, Seminary, Collins, Mt. Olive, Magee, Mendenhall, D'Lo, Braxton

Pearl Office:
Pearl, Flowood, Monterey, East Jackson, Thomasville

Steps for getting a new service?

  1. Call for availability.
  2. Schedule appointment with Willmut representative to discuss meter location, appliance loads, etc.    
  3. Go to a Willmut Gas office, sign a contract, and pay a deposit (if applicable).
  4. If in the city:
    1. Get a city inspection.
    2. Have a plumber do a mercury test.

If outside the city:

  1. Have a plumber do a mercury test and have the Willmut Gas service department inspect the mercury test
  2. Schedule a time with Willmut Gas service department to set the meter.

Is there service available for my house?

Call our Customer Service department at one of our offices:

Hattiesburg:     (601) 544-6001
Magee:             (601) 849-3751
Pearl:                (601) 939-3275

We will be happy to provide you with information on natural gas availability for your home.

What can I do if I live outside your service area?

Propane service is an attractive alternative to natural gas in those areas not served by our mains. Blossman Gas Company will be happy to help you. They may be reached at 1-888-BLOSSMAN.

Do I have to pay a deposit for new residential service?

A deposit may be required on new accounts.  If a home owner, in lieu of paying a deposit, the customer may provide a credit reference from another utility company showing a good credit standing for at least (1) one year.  Deposits are often waived for senior citizens.

When is my bill due?

Call for this information because we have eight different billing cycles.  A customer service representative will gladly give you this information.

Is there a grace period on my bill?

Yes, (14) fourteen days from the date of the bill.

Do you accept credit cards for bill payment?

Yes, for On-Line EZ payments and Pay by Phone services.  There is a $3.50 conveniece fee for using this service.  Willmut Gas accepts Visa or Master Card for the payment of gas bills.  Willmut Gas will not accept any credit card payments at our local branch offices in Hattiesburg, Magee, or Pearl after December 5, 2012.

What if my bill is high?

If your natural gas bill seems abnormally high, please take into account:

  1. The Billing Cycle - - how many days of use does your bill cover?
  2. The temperature during the billing cycle - how cold was it during all of those days?
  3. The temperature at which you set your thermostat.

After considering the above factors and you still feel as if the bill is too high contact the billing department at (601) 544-6001.

Where can I pay my gas bill?

Payment for natural gas bills, merchandise and repair bills are accepted at:

Hattiesburg Office:

315 South Main St.
Hattiesburg, MS  39401

After Hour Depository 

  1. Located on the building to the right of the front door.

Magee Office: 

515 Third Ave. SE
Magee, MS  39111

Drop Box:       

  1. Outside the office.

Pearl Office:   

2650 Old Brandon Rd., Suite A
Pearl, MS  39208

  1. In front of office.

Do I have to be there to have my gas turned on?

Yes, an adult will have to be present because the serviceman will need to go inside the house to check for leaks and to light pilots.

Can I send someone else to apply for gas service in my name?

No, because whoever comes in must sign the contract and the service will be in their name. 

Do you light pilots? How much?

Yes we do.  Please call one of our offices for prices.

Do I have to come in to disconnect my service or can this be done over the phone?

Coming to the office is not required.  Service may be disconnected over the phone.

Can I transfer a Willmut account to another Willmut account in the same name over the phone?

Yes, as long as the old and new services are both Willmut accounts.  Also, the transferring account must be current.  If the account has a delinquent balance it must be paid prior to transferring to another account.

Who makes the rules and governs Willmut Gas?

Willmut Gas Company is a regulated public utility and is subject to the rules and regulations of the Mississippi Public Service Commission. 

Telephone number of the M.P.S.C. is 1-800-356-6430

If these items do not give you an answer, then call us. We will be happy to check your billing.

Call Customer Service at:

Hattiesburg:     (601) 544-6001

Magee:             (601) 849-3751

Pearl:                (601) 939-3275